Chris Martin’s 33 Best Quotes
Chris Martin is the stylish frontman of the endlessly popular British band Coldplay.
He released globally acclaimed songs like “Viva La Vida”, “The Scientist” and “Clocks”, among many others. He’s even been featured on great rap songs by Kanye West and Jay Z.
The 45-year-old English-born artist is a legend and his story is still being written.
But what could Martin say about life and the world at large beyond the songs he sings? This is the subject of today’s investigation.
So, without further ado, let’s dive into Chris Martin’s 33 best quotes, shall we?
1. “What makes us a little nervous is, in our day and age, releasing something that might take more than one listen. Where everything is instantly judged on YouTube or something! It’s kind of like letting go a horse and cart on a race track.
2. “Everything we think is amazing, beautiful and wonderful, we attribute to something we don’t know what it is.”
3. “Maybe it’s because I’m English, but when it comes to how people perceive us, I only take the negative side.”
4. “I compete with anyone who writes a good song, I don’t care if it’s a band or a solo artist or whoever.
5. “I had a few years in the mid-2000s where it was really confusing for me. I was like, ‘Why is our band sometimes a punchline?’
6. “You have two years to make a record and do whatever you want with it; then you have 10 minutes to do an interview that could ruin everything. It’s Crispian Mills syndrome.
7. “People who write happy songs are often unhappy.”
8. “I really like Oasis, and I also really like Beyonce. My body gets the same pleasure. If you like different types of music, you can say that.
9. “For people who write songs, it’s a gift you get. You get good at it, but you get the gift.
10. “Rihanna’s voice is simply delicious to your ears. Sinatra had the same; everything he sang seemed to appeal to most people.
11. “I totally respect any couple that stays together no matter how they do it, whether they do it walking red carpets or hiking together, you know, or being really quiet and trying to stay away from all this press stuff.”
12. “When I’m with my kids, I feel like it’s really me. And when we’re on stage, I feel that way too.
13. “There’s a part of me that wishes no one knew anything about me, but that’s just not realistic.”
14. “Once a week, I don’t eat for 24 or 30 hours. Your brain becomes very lucid about ideas. It also made me so grateful for food and for life, basically, and that’s why I think our music brings so much more joy.
15. “I’m not a great dancer. I’m a great advertisement for free speech. I don’t care what you think. I’m having a great time.”
16. “Some people misinterpret our band as just a commercial enterprise.”
17. “It’s hard when you’re successful, to admit you need help.”
18. “You gotta wear the right pants if you want to be a rock star.”
19. “More idiots should just shut their mouths.
20. “My philosophy right now is that I’m awesome, and everyone else is too. You gotta put on your own oxygen mask. That’s really my philosophy now, our band is the best band in the world. And all the other bands too.
21. “Record sales mean nothing. For us, the pressure is to imagine a 15-year-old kid in Cincinnati who buys our album and doesn’t feel like he wasted his pocket money.
22. “The only thing unique about a group is their chemistry, especially if none of you are prodigious players or particularly good-looking. The only thing you have is your uniqueness, so we stick with that.
23. “Celebrity culture has gone crazy, and I think the reason is that real news just isn’t bearable, and it also seems impossible to change anything.”
24. “I know I’m in a famous band and my private life is famous. I get it, and that’s okay. Even when I grew up in a village, people wanted to know who was going to prom with. which, and I understand, but I think if I commit too much to it, it won’t be so healthy.
25. “Even though the album is an endangered species, can we try to make it a cohesive and good album, even if it’s like riding a horse and cart at a Nascar conference?”
26. “Someone called me the other day and said ‘Yellow’ was on a karaoke machine. It really got me excited. It has a great beat.
27. “Taking care of your ears is unfortunately something you don’t think about until there’s a problem.
28. “Music comes from a place we don’t know.”
29. “Although it is painful in the moment, most of the things people have said negatively about us – some of them are true and you can work with them, and some of them you are not. Okay, you’re not working out.”
30. “The goal is to try to make the perfect song. Which of course will never happen.”
31. “To be completely honest with you, I’m so happy to be alive everyday.”
32. “I do yoga for an hour and I run every day. Then I see a picture of me and I still look like a skinny, pot-bellied idiot – and I thought I’d become this super handsome kid!”
33. “If you don’t let love in, you can’t really give it back.”
(Photo by Brian Stukes/Getty Images)