Paul McCartney’s 24 Best Quotes
Sir Paul McCartney is one of the biggest names in music. May be the bigger. And it has been for over 50 years. It’s an amazing feat.
McCartney, who of course co-presented The Beatles with John Lennon continues to produce art and still captivates audiences with his writings, fame and opinions.
And while we know a lot about his work, from “Yesterday” to the new Beatles documentary, Returnwe may not know what the songwriter thinks about life, love, and the pursuit of happiness outside of his well-known lyrics.
Here we are going to dive into the 24 best Paul McCartney quotes. So, without further ado, let’s do just that.
1. “I used to think anyone who did anything weird was weird. I suddenly realized that anyone who did something weird wasn’t weird at all and it was the people who said they were weird who were weird.
2. “Think globally, act locally.”
3. “None of us wanted to be the bassist. In our minds, he was the big guy who always played in the back.
4. “Someone said to me, ‘But the Beatles were anti-materialist.’ It’s a huge myth. John and I literally used to sit down and say, “Now let’s write a swimming pool.”
5. “If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.”
6. “One of my biggest thrills for me is still sitting down with a guitar or a piano and coming out of nowhere trying to create a song.”
7. “I seem a lot busier than I do, because I’m actually a pretty sporadic, random person and I’ll play a few gigs and then disappear for a while.”
8. “I hate the idea that success robs you of your privacy.”
9. “I definitely looked up to John. We all looked up to John. He was older and he was really the boss; he was the most quick-witted and smartest.
10. “I saw Meryl Streep say, I just want to do my job well. And really, that’s all I’m trying to do.
11. “I’m not religious, but I’m very spiritual.”
12. “If kids are studying the 20th century, I’m in their textbooks.”
13. “It was Elvis who really got me hooked on beat music. When I heard ‘Heartbreak Hotel,’ I thought that was it.
14. “I’m never looking forward, because I have no idea how it all happened to get here. I have no idea what the next five years will be like.
15. “Why should I retire?” Stay home and watch TV? No thanks. I prefer to play outside.
16. “I think people who create and write, it actually flows – just flows into their head, into their hand, and they write it down. It’s simple.”
17. “Microphones are like people, if you yell at them, they get scared.”
18. “Where I’m from, you don’t really talk about how much you make. These things are private. My dad never told my mom how much he made. I’m definitely not going to tell the world. I’m going to good.”
19. “I had this song called ‘Helter Skelter’, which is just a silly song. So we did it like that, because I like noise.
20. “Somewhere down the line, everyone has to pay for their misdeeds.”
21. “When you first get money, you buy all these things so nobody thinks you’re mean, and you spread it around. back of that car and you think, I was happier when I had my own little car!I could drive myself!
22. “When I sit down to write a song, it’s kind of improvisational, but I formalize it a bit to get it into the studio, and when I get close to a mic, I have a vague idea of what I’m about to do.
23. “I can’t deal with the press; I hate all those Beatles questions.
24. “Listen, people are entitled to their own opinions and they don’t always coincide with yours. As an artist, you just have to keep plugging in.
Photo of Paul McCartney by MJ Kim/Nasty Little Man