Tiny Desk Concert (house): NPR
The Tiny Desk is working from home for the foreseeable future. Introducing NPR Music’s Tiny Desk (Home) Concerts, bringing you performances from across the country and around the world. It’s the same spirit — stripped down decor, an intimate setting — just a different space.
The velvety sapphire of what might be jazz’s most recognizable curtains is the backdrop for this special Tiny Desk (home) concert. Dapper and distinguished in matching ties, legendary bassist Ron Carter and the members of his trio sit comfortably on the prestigious stage of The Blue Note in Manhattan. It’s jazz with a capital J, accompanied by cocktails and “Candlelight”. The first track in this set charms us, inviting deep sighs as the lushness of the trio’s complex interplay takes us back to moments of staring deep into a lover’s eyes.
Ron Carter’s career spans 60 years. This includes playing with the greatest of the jazz greats, as well as film music, teaching, writing and numerous awards, from the Grammys to a Guinness World Record as the most recorded bassist in history. . After the end of the first song in this set, the soft-spoken pinstripe maestro gives a simple introduction; then, we are entitled to a foretaste of his mastery with a solo bass performance entitled “Blues for Tiny Desk”.
Russell Malone and Donald Vega join Carter again for the final song, “Eddie’s Theme”. The way they share the sonic space is truly a testament to the sense of community that jazz fosters. We see how they exchange glances, watch and listen to each other as they give each other space and support each other musically, celebrating freedom of expression. We are honored and thrilled to join in the celebration as we wish this jazz luminary a very happy 85th birthday today. May the 4 be with you.
LIST OF SETTINGS
- “Blues for the Small Office”
- “Eddie’s Theme”
- Ron Carter: bass
- Donald Vega: piano
- Russell Malone: guitar
- A production of partisan images
- Produced by: Simone Banos and Penny Kjellberg
- Directed by: Peter Schnall
- Camera: Andrew Baker and Peter Schnall
- Associate producer: Lena Schnall
- Audio by: Alex Glasgow
- Technical Manager: Sergio Larios
- Special thanks: Blue Note Jazz Club and Blue Note Entertainment Group
SMALL OFFICE TEAM
- Producer: Nikki Birch
- Video Producer: Joshua Bryant
- Audio mastering: Josh Rogosin
- Small production team: Bob Boilen, Bobby Carter, Kara Frame, Michael Zamora, Maia Stern, Ashley Pointer
- Vice President, NPR Music: Keith Jenkins
- Senior Vice President, Programming: Anya Grundmann